Archive for March 18th, 2012
» posted on Sunday, March 18th, 2012 at 12:37 pm by joey-fatone
Lacoste Official posted a photo: The Costume Designers Guild Awards were held at the Beverly Hills Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles tuesday evening. Lacoste was on hand as Presenting Sponsor and actress Kate Beckinsale took home the Lacoste Spotlight award. View photos of the celebrities who attended the event here.
» posted on Sunday, March 18th, 2012 at 1:46 am by joey-fatone
Young adults throughout history think of themselves as invincible. They drive recklessly, re-enact stunts from the movie “Jackass”, and will try to find cheap unique ways of getting high. It’s a wonder that the human population has survived this long. There are the normal teenage antics, and then there are those that are a bit extreme. Kids are going to experiment with drugs and alcohol that goes without saying; however some teens will take it a bit further. Recently a new phenomenon has caught on, getting high off the common household spice nutmeg. If teens are desperate and stupid enough to attempt a high off of nutmeg then they seriously need to consider treatment at a residential rehabilitation center for drug counseling and rehabilitation.
The common household spice nutmeg is usually added to enhance the flavor of foods. Foods such as egg nog or cookies will call for a pinch of nutmeg. Although common, nutmeg does contain a compound that had been linked to psychoactive components. The compound myristicin if taken in large quantities can cause hallucinations and other ‘high’ like effects. Because of this young adults have taken to ingesting large amounts of nutmeg to get high. Anyone who even considers this needs counseling.
The component myristicin is one of the compounds found in nutmeg. Myristicin is responsible for the psychoactive properties that can be found in nutmeg. This organic compound can be found in natural insecticides and can have neurotoxic effects on humans. The FDA regulates nutmeg as a food, not as a drug. This is because its main use is as a spice. An overdose of nutmeg, four or more teaspoons, can cause a high that resembles the flu and can have very dangerous side effects.
A nutmeg high has many side effects. These side effects include, vomiting, dizziness, cotton mouth, paranoia, problems urinating, and an awful hangover. Other reactions include a warming sensation running through the limbs. The high from nutmeg has been compared to the symptoms of the flu. Those wishing to seek a flu-like high will have to wait five to six hours after ingestion for any symptoms to occur. This has lead to nutmeg poisoning in some cases.
Nutmeg Poisoning is a very dangerous effect for recreational nutmeg use. If poisoning occurs medical attention must be sought out immediately. The effects of large amounts of nutmeg can last several days. Symptoms of nutmeg poisoning include, vomiting, tachycardia, collapse, headaches, hallucinations, and irrational behavior. The only way to determine if nutmeg poisoning has occurred is to check the levels of myristicin through a blood test.